Friday, August 2, 2019

I drove the Winnie

to an RV sales repair shop about 40 minutes from here to have a Fantastic Fan installed in place of the original. We wanted a reversible fan with temperature and rain sensing capabilities, having used one on our previous camper trailer.

The repair shop said the old one had a cracked housing, which was too bad since we were hoping to swap it for the bathroom vent which has a very small fan in it. On the way back from the RV place, I stopped to top off the gas tank which was 1/3 full, and spent a whopping $102 to fill it.

I looked over the recent repair records that the previous owner had included and was pleased to see he had the oil changed 700 miles ago, and that he had had numerous upgrades done to the steering and suspension last year, along with maintenance on the generator.

The swivel bases for the front seats that I ordered from Sportsmobile arrive today, and a special TP55 bit to remove the floor bolts arrives tomorrow. I went out last night and tried to find this bit locally, but could only find T55 torx bits, and the Ford e-series seat bolts are “torx plus” 55, which have rounded instead of sharp star points. The regular T55 might work, but I do not want to risk rounding out the bolts when I remove the seats tomorrow. I took a look at the seat bolts and they appear to be clean and rust free, so hopefully they’ll come out easy.

I took some photos of the interior.  As you can see, standard RV fare. I removed all the covers from the dinette and washed them, despite the dry clean only label. They probably had never been washed, and I let them air dry and wrestled the covers back over the foam. I’m not sure how comfortable the dinette will be, which is why we looked into installing swivel bases on the front seats. Still, with the slide out, there is a surprising amount of room.

I have put a few things in the kitchen but have not really spent any time thinking about how the rest of our stuff will fit.

Earlier this week, we moved the Winnie around on the driveway to find a level-ish spot so that we could start up the propane refrigerator to see how well it worked.  We also started up the generator and ran the roof top A/C.  Everything checked out : )

Some updates on the dome light problem: it turned out to be a case of user error. I just needed to turn the headlamp pull out control all the way to the right and the dome light now works as it should.  While at the RV repair shop, I asked the owner what to do about the missing travel strap for securing the slide while driving. He said that cutting a 1" dowel, gluing rubber tips on each end, and inserting it between the interior wall and the inside of the slide wall would provide peach of mind.

I bought a copy of William Prowse’s book on RV solar, and hubby has been looking it over.  I like the author’s idea of putting the solar charge controller, fuse block, and inverter on a plywood board and mounting the board in the rv, rather than trying to find cabinet space for the components. The Winnie has a space behind the drivers side that may work.  Prowse has a few you tube videos demonstrating his layout.  Installing solar will be our next big expense. Thankfully, the Winnie was well taken care of, and we shouldn’t have any other concerns to address.






No comments:

Post a Comment